Re: What to do if the source name of a package changes

On 2010-03-02 11:14 +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:10:59 +0100, Gregor Jasny wrote:
>
>> To be consistent with upstream I changes the package source name to v4l-utils.
>> But what actions do I have to take to take to replace libv4l with
>> v4l-utils in the archive?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

I don't think this applies here, because Gregor wants to rename the
*source* package (and probably add a new binary package v4l-utils).

The developer's reference states this in § 5.9.2:

,----
| There is one exception when an explicit removal request is not
| necessary: If a (source or binary) package is an orphan, it will
| be removed semi-automatically. For a binary-package, this means
| if there is no longer any source package producing this binary
| package; if the binary package is just no longer produced on some
| architectures, a removal request is still necessary. For a
| source-package, this means that all binary packages it refers to
| have been taken over by another source package.
`----

So, assuming that the new source package still produces all the binary
packages that libv4l did, no special action is necessary.

There is a downside to this renaming though: the history in the PTS
will be truncated.

Sven