package split

Hi all,

Sometimes splits package in this reason [0]
usually are 'package'  and 'package-data', but how can I fix troubles
similar to [1] that upgrading this try to overwrite on 'package'
previously installed? (the last version is 'package' and 'package-data',
and the previously version just is 'package')
Could I fix this with a preinst script to uninstall previously version?
or this could be handled in other way [2] (File conflicts should not
occur if you upgrade from a ...)

[0]http://lintian.debian.org/tags/arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share.html
[1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=558190
[2]http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#trouble