Re: RFS: Turtleart

2010/1/22 Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero <rafael@sugarlabs.org>:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "turtleart".
>
> * Package name    : turtleart
>  Version         : 0.0.1
>  Upstream Author : Walter Bender walter@sugarlabs.org
> * URL             : http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Turtle_Art
> * License         : gplv2
>  Section         : misc
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> turtleart  - Graphic Programming interface, based on the logo Turtle
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: Maintaining programming
> tools and becoming DM

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/turtleart/turtleart_0.0.1.dsc
>
> this closes bug  #565949 to ITP: turtleart -- Turtle graphic
> programming environment

Hi Rafael!

I am not a mentor, but I have taken a quick look at your package and
noticed a couple of odd things:

1.
The original tarball appears to contain only a single directory which
extracts to a folder name which does not match the upstream name and
version of the package.

2.
The diff.gz appears to be creating the upstream source as well as the
debian/ directory. The diff.gz should only contain the "debianisation"
of the package.

3.
I cant find where to actually download the upstream source.

4.
Have you run lintian against it? See below:

----------
$ lintian --pedantic *.changes
E: turtleart_0.0.1_amd64.changes: changed-by-address-malformed rafael
<rafael@rafael-desktop>
E: turtleart: debian-changelog-file-contains-invalid-email-address
rafael@rafael-desktop
E: turtleart: copyright-contains-dh_make-todo-boilerplate
E: turtleart: description-starts-with-package-name
E: turtleart: description-is-dh_make-template
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tagplay.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tahoverhelp.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tajail.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/talogo.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/taproject.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tasetup.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tasprites.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/taturtle.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tawindow.py
W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/turtleart.py
E: turtleart: info-document-missing-dir-section usr/share/info/activity.info.gz
E: turtleart: info-document-missing-dir-entry usr/share/info/activity.info.gz
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tagplay.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tahoverhelp.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tajail.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/talogo.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/taproject.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tasetup.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tasprites.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/taturtle.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tawindow.py
W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/turtleart.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/taproject.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tagplay.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tasetup.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tawindow.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tajail.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tahoverhelp.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/taturtle.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/talogo.py
W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tasprites.py

I'm no python expert, but according to debian-policy, every executable
should have a manpage. This unfortunately this we as packagers
occasionally need to write them.

4.
You may want to make the package source format (3.0)

Hopefully a real mentor will also take a look at your package ;)

Regards,

Paul.