RFS: gpsim

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gpsim".

* Package name    : gpsim
  Version         : 0.24-0.1
  Upstream Authors: Scott Dattalo <scott@dattalo.com>
                   Salvador E. Tropea
                   Chris Emerson
                   Dan Heller <argv@sun.com>
                   Ralf Forsberg
                   Carlos Ghirardelli
                   Tony Bybell
                   Daniel Schudel
                   Robert Pearce <rob@bdt-home.demon.co.uk>
                   Daniel Christian
                   Ian King
                   Fred Pesch
                   Borut Razem <borut.razem@siol.net>
                   J.R. Heisey <jrheisey@sourceforge.com>
                   Ralph Neider <rneider@web.de>
                   Roy Rankin <rrankin@ihug.com.au>
                   David Barnett <dbarnett@edt.biz>

* URL             : http://gpsim.sourceforge.net/
* License         : GPL version 2 or later
  Section         : electronics

It builds these binary packages:
gpsim      - Simulator for Microchip's PIC microcontrollers
gpsim-dev  - Libraries needed only for building gpsim components

My motivation for maintaining this package is the following:

this package has been orphaned some months ago, at the same time
as the package ktechlab, which I do use for my job with my students.
I adopted ktechlab because I needed its features about simulation of
electronics with simple components. However I did not adopt gpsim at
that time because it does not deal with stuff I know well. I teach
physics and chemistry, not microcontrollers nor PICs. I was advised
one week ago that gpsim should be removed from Debian because it was
not adopted, and I got this advice because it would cause the removal
of ktechlab (ktechlab depends on gpsim)

I examined the possibility to recompile ktechlab without supporting
the features brought in by gpsim, however it happened to be more
difficult than reviving the older package, see the changelog: updating to
a recent upstream version did a great effect, after three years without
synchronisation.

So even if I have few knowledge about the features provided by gpsim, I
would like to adopt this package. There is still another reason: why should
Debian's package ktechlab be less featureful than the packages coming
from other distributions? The mailing lists show that there are many
people around using ktechlab for the features concerning PIC's simulation,
they do rely on it.

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gpsim/gpsim_0.24-0.1.dsc

Kind regards
 Georges Khaznadar

--
Georges KHAZNADAR et Jocelyne FOURNIER
22 rue des mouettes, 59240 Dunkerque France.