Re: RFS: collectl

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 09:43 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Bernd Schubert
> <bernd.schubert@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > Lintian -pendantic complains with:
> >
> > I: collectl source: build-depends-without-arch-dep bash
> > I'm not sure what to do about the new "build-depends-without-arch-dep". If I
> > set in the control file "Build-Depends-Indep" it complains about:
> >
> > E: collectl source: clean-should-be-satisfied-by-build-depends quilt
> > E: collectl source: clean-should-be-satisfied-by-build-depends debhelper
>
> lintian does not have a build-depends-without-arch-dep tag, it was
> removed in the 2.3.0 release.

This is correct; however, having read bug #552200, I'm not yet
personally convinced that it deserved to be removed.  If the package
later added some arch-dependent binary packages, it would be nice to be
consistent.

(I think I could envisage an automated Perl package building tool that
would love to be able to install automatically just the packages needed
to run the clean rule - I shall write such a script in my copious free
time and then complain bitterly to the lintian maintainers.)

The fix is to move bash (>= 4.0) to Build-Depends-Indep, and leave
debhelper and quilt in the Build-Depends field.  It's not a particularly
serious issue, though.

Bernd: Sorry, I'll review your package tomorrow. :)

--
Tim Retout <tim@retout.co.uk>