Re: Man and UTF-8.

Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What about double quotes?

>>> quilt's manpage renders like this in the man viewer: ``pushed on the
>>> stack''

>>> I looked at the source and the .1 file has exactly those characters
>>> too.  So what should it have to get them converted into nice-looking
>>> Unicode quotes?

>> Use troff to render the man page into PostScript instead of using nroff
>> to view it.  I don't believe nroff converts double quotes.

> So much about it being a feature of the format, then. If ``'' means
> quotes in the roff format and nroff can't output Unicode, it should be
> converting them to something sane like "".

`` and '' aren't documented in the troff paper that I could find, so I'm
not sure that they're a formal feature of the format in the same way that
- becoming a hyphen is (the latter is documented).  However, I may be
missing where it's documented.

`` and '' have been converted to paired quotes by troff for years, though,
so it is a commonly-implemented feature of the underlying format.  I would
call this a substandard rendering of the quotes by the nroff front-end,
not a deficiency in the format.