How to update package which is in ftp-master queue?

Hello again,

some time ago I initially packaged a Java library called "simple-xml" which is
now in the NEW queue on ftp-master [1]. During the past weeks I added some
improvements to the package (added maven-repo support). The changes are
already in the Debian Java SVN [2].

What is the correct policy for updating this package? Should I write a new
RFS? Do I need to wait until the first version of this package is accepted in
Debian? btw: When can I expect a decision by the ftp-masters over inclusion
into Debian?

Still a lot of things to learn..

Thanks,
Fabian