Re: About software from other distribution

Thanks, I'll working on it.

2009/11/11 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>
On Tuesday 10 November 2009 10:39:58 Liang Guo wrote:
> Currently I'm using qspice, a  Simple Protocol for Independent Computing
> Environments (SPICE) client as my console to connect to KVM. qspice is a
> utility from RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.4,  and It is licensed under GNU
> GPLv2.
>
> qspice and related libraries can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/ as
> SRPM format, may I package it for Debian ?

It doesn't matter who upstream is, as long as the software is DFSG-free [1],
the maintainer is willing to do the work, and it would be useful for Debian
users [2] it can be considered for Debian.  Even if it is not DFSG-free, it
might be allowed in non-free.

[1] In practice, patent or trademark claims could make something not DFSG-free
even if the copyright holder uses a good license.  Or, (ala PINE) the
copyright holder could have an odd view of a normally acceptable license.

[2] If there's already a package that fills the same role, your package might
not be considered useful for Debian users.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                   ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))

--
Liang Guo
http://bluestone.cublog.cn