RFS: usb-modeswitch (updated package)

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.0.5-1 of my package "usb-
modeswitch" - mode switching tool for controlling "flip flop" USB devices.

The upload would fix these bugs: 527122, 535445. By the way, the package has
seen big updates both upstream and Debian side. It fixes the functionality
overlay between udev's modemswitch and usb-modeswitch by the way of an "opt-in".
The Debian.NEWS for this update is attached.

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/usb-modeswitch/usb-
modeswitch_1.0.5-1.dsc

The only lintian error is due to the switch to 3.0 (quilt) and is a bug pending
upload in lintian (#552707).

Best regards,

OdyX

--
Didier Raboud, proud Debian user.
CH-1020 Renens

  UPSTREAM: Version 1.0.5 introduces two major changes.

  * The devices configuration is split:
    - /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf is dropped in favor of files in
      /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/
    - This means that the customisation or new devices that were defined in
      /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf will be _LOST_.
    + Normally, there no need anymore to play with comments and such to only
      get the correct devices switched.

  * The detection of devices is greatly improved:
    - /etc/udev/rules.d/usb_modeswitch.rules (Debian-specific) is dropped in
      favor of /etc/udev/rules.d/80-usb_modeswitch.rules (from upstream).
      These rules call /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/usb_modeswitch.{sh,tcl} to
      handle the automagical detection and switching of the devices.
    - This means that any device selection done by comment-tweak in the
      Debian-specific .rules file will be lost.
    + But it is normally replaced by a superior and more universal device
      detection.

  Finally, if you had modified /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf to insert home-brewn
  tweaks, you will need to migrate these tweaks to /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/*
  files. But if you had only selected alternative devices in
  /etc/udev/usb_modeswitch.rules, you should normally have nothing to do, as
  these alternatives should now be detected (read below).

  DEBIAN: Version 1.0.5-1 now makes the rules "opt-in"

  * udev (from version 146-1) now ships a modem-modeswitch program that does
    what usb-modeswitch used to do. To ensure that the transition to this udev
    facility is smooth for everyone, the usb-modeswitch program is kept, but
    with an opt-in /etc/udev/rules.d/80-usb_modeswitch.rules.
  * Thus if modem-modeswitch from udev (>= 146-1) works for your device, you
    can uninstall usb-modeswitch.
  * A contrario, if modem-modeswitch doesn't switch your device, please file a
    bug against udev and edit /etc/udev/rules.d/80-usb_modeswitch.rules to
    enable it.

 -- Didier Raboud <didier@raboud.com>  Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:02:40 +0100