Re: Convenience copies in upstream code: dependencies, removal, copyright, and other issues

Le 21 oct. 09 à 11:03, Jonathan Niehof a écrit :

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:48 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au > wrote:

* Remove the convenience copy from the original source archive, or
 merely from the binary package?

Related question:
Since the source package consists of orig.tar.gz and a .diff, how
would one "remove the convenience copy from the original source"?

You would need to repack: unpack the tar.gz, remove the copy, re-tar.

The
policy seems to speak only to *use* of the convenience copy, not
exclusion.

That's why removing from the source is not necessary in the general case. It is advisable if the code is very large to avoid cluttering the archive with unused stuff, and necessary if the code is not free of poses other legal problems.

[...]
This is for a case where the package will function without the
convenience copy (it's optional functionality), and the convenience
copy code is patent-encumbered (not truly Free, and thus better not to
distribute at all) while the rest of the package is Free.

Then I would repack, although I know there are packages in the archive which include patent-encumbered code which is simply disabled in the binary.

Regards, Thibaut.