Re: multiple database support with dbconfig-common : metapackages ?

On Monday 28 September 2009 15:09:15 Jérémy Lal wrote:
> Instead of depending on :
> sqlite3 | postgresql-client | mysql-client,
> libdbd-sqlite3-ruby | libdbd-pg-ruby | libdbd-mysql-ruby
> as bugzilla, drupal, and others do, which i think is
> confusing the user; is it desirable to do as roundcube package, i.e.
> providing three metapackages ? Each package providing the correct
> dependencies for each db type.
>
> Then it would give :
> redmine depends on redmine-mysql | redmine-pgsql | redmine-sqlite

IANADD, TINASOODP.

As a user, I think you are on the right track here.  The first set of
dependencies would be "satisfied" by sqlite3 and libdbd-pg-ruby, which might
leave redmine installed but completely non-functional.  AFAIK, there's no way
to express (pkg1 & pkg2) | (pkg3 & pkg4) without the intervening meta-
packages.

However, I am a bit surprised that you need to depend on both libdbd-pg-ruby
and postgresql-client.  Shouldn't libpq5 (desciprion: PostgrSQL client
libraries), brought in as a dependency of libdbd-pg-ruby be enough of a
client?  postgresql-client is only the front-end binaries.