Re: RFS: ne (QA upload)

Hi Sven,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 06:50:41PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Hello Ryan,
>
> thanks for your review.
>
> On 2009-09-25 08:14 +0200, Ryan Niebur wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't include the authors in the long description, as that's kind
> > of boring/useless information for the user. also, the short
> > descriptions should follow the guidelines in devref, please read this
> > page and adjust accordingly (no capital in "Documentation", should be
> > a noun phrase, etc):
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis
> >
> > and I wouldn't mention that the acronym "ne" stands for "nice editor"
> > in the short description, I'd move that to the long description.
>
> I've updated that, also changed the capitalization as upstream's
> homepage actually uses lower case.

most of these improvements are good, however still in the short
description of ne-doc "Documentation" should be "documentation".

> > I will. I haven't tested that the package actually works, I'm assuming
> > you already did that thoroughly enough and that it will work fine for
> > me when I test it.
>
> I'm not familiar with all the bells and whistles of ne (else I would
> volunteer to maintain it), but basic features like opening, editing and
> saving files work.  Also, the editor finds it syntax files where I put
> them.

okay, that's fine.

> > one other concern (and this isn't
> > new in your changes) is that there's no copyright/license information
> > for the Debian packaging. It's probably okay to assume the copyright
> > years based on the debian/changelog and the license is the same as
> > upstream. could please add this information (including a copyright
> > statement for your work as well) to debian/copyright?
>
> Did that as well.  I've tried to reach the previous maintainer, but the
> mail to his Debian address bounced (apparently when it got forwarded to
> his non-Debian address; the qmail error messages from mail.gmx.net are a
> bit cryptic).  It is probably safe enough to assume that he's the
> copyright holder of the files under debian/.

yep, okay.

> > also, I'd suggest that you look into using debhelper 7 minimized rules
> > files (see "man dh"), tho this is completely up to you and is a
> > personal preference kind of thing.
>
> I've played around with this option today, and I actually like it.
> Despite three overrides, debian/rules is only 20 lines long.
> The version I just uploaded uses this small rules file.

great! however you shouldn't need to do "dh_auto_install -- DESTDIR=$(BUILDDIR) PREFIX=/usr"
"dh_auto_install" passes those by default.

> > the rules file is fine as-is.
>
> Almost, I actually forgot to call dh_testdir and dh_testroot in the
> binary-indep target.  One more reason to switch to dh(1) where such an
> oversight is not possible.

ah, yes, it's hard to catch these things :)

> > hm, one more thing. The information in README.Debian seems a bit out
> > of place. It might be better to be patching that information into the
> > upstream documention in the "Key Bindings" section, so that users are
> > more likely to see it when they're reading the manual.
>
> Maybe.  For now I've only changed README.Debian to point to the section
> in the manual, as it's a bit incomprehensible on its own.  Also, I added
> a paragraph about terminfo problems, as ne is really picky about
> terminfo files and the backspace key currently deletes forwards in
> xterm-256color terminal (to be fixed in ncurses-base).

good.

> > also, please forward your patches to upstream if you haven't already
> > done so.
>
> I had waited for the review here, will do so soon.

okay.

> Meanwhile I uploaded a changed package to mentors.debian.net:
>
> dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/n/ne/ne_2.0.3-1.dsc

other than the few minor things I mentioned, this package looks very
good. I'll just upload it as is. the remaining nitpicks are so small that
they really don't matter. thanks for the great work! please feel free
to contact me in the future when you need something sponsored. :)

Cheers,
Ryan
[who just sponsored a package for the first time]

--
Ryan Niebur