Re: what to do when upstream package is shipped with MB of dependencies ?

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> I'm in a situation where upstream tarball is not very nice;
> e.g. it's shipped with 3MB of dependencies, most of which
> are already packaged.
> I suppose a patch has no meaning here, since it consists in removing
> the dependencies from the tarball. Another patch consists in
> correcting the makefile to use already installed libraries instead
> of rebuilding them. That one could be meaningfull.

You should (must, IMO) fix the building so that it uses only the
libraries that Debian distributes. See policy §4.13.

> Is doing a get-orig-source taking care of cleaning up upstream
> a good solution ?

The correct solution is to get upstream to distribute the dependencies
in a separate tarball (if they distribute them at all).

Baring that, there's little reason to remove the dependencies unless:

1) you're already repacking the source
2) they're large in comparison to the actual distributed code

in either case, I'd strongly consider writing a get-orig-source target
which dealt with removing the superfluous bits of source.

Don Armstrong

--
He quite enjoyed the time by himself in the mornings. The day was too
early to have started going really wrong.