Re: RFS: libv8

IANADD, but I would offer one comment here.

On Sep 06 2009, David Bremner wrote:
> At Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:03:10 +0000, Antonio Radici wrote:
> > * Package name    : libv8
> >   Version         : 1.3.9-1
> >   Upstream Author : Google v8 team
> > * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/v8/
>
> Some comments, from only looking at .dsc file.
>
>      - according to the home page, v8 only works on ia32 or ARM architectures,
>      so "Architecture: any" is surprising

Despite the fact that the package works only on two architectures in a
"useful" way, it would be enlightening to let it build on more arches,
since some of them may FTBFS revealing errors both on the toolchain and
on the design of the program.

In fact, compiling a given piece of software against a new architecture
is enlightening.

The only possible problems that may arise are regarding the expectations
of users, but this could be documented with a short note on the
package's long description ("While this package is available for all
Debian architectures, it is only known to work under ia32 and ARM") and
a slightly longer note as README.Debian, noting that further development
is on track to support more architectures.

>      - I doubt that many sponsors will be happy DM-Upload-Allowed: yes
>        on a NEW package.

While I understand that you mentioned this regarding a NEW package, I'm
a slightly bit confused about the "best current practices" of the DMUA
field.

Some sponsors seem to like to add the field themselves, while others
explicitly say "please, add the field so that you can continue uploading
without having many rounds of e-mails". I had at least had three
sponsors telling me the latter.

Perhaps this is a particular case with my packages, perhaps it is their
preference, but it is, nonetheless, a bit confusing. :-)

I repeat it here that you mentioned the fact that the package was NEW
and things are quite different for them.

Regards, Rogério Brito.