Re: tigase xmpp server package

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 08:43:30PM +0200, Mateusz Fiołka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am on of the Tigase XMPP server developers. Tigase is written purely
> in Java and is meant to be high performing, scalable and extensible.
> Some time ago one of our users contributed deb packages. There is even
> an automatic system which builds these packages automaticaly, there
> are placed in a custom repository.
>
> My question is: is there any debian develper or package maintainer who
> would be interested in helping me out to include these packages in
> standard debian repository?

The process by which this happens is 'sponsorship', and this happens all
the time. Note that I'm not volunteering to maintain the package at this
time (I have way too much other responsibilities already), but I'd
certainly be willing to help you out in getting stuff ready.

First, the more appropriate mailinglist for this kind of requests is
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org -- CC set; please direct any follow-ups
there.

You basically have three options:
- Maintain the package yourself, through a 'sponsor'. A sponsor is a
  Debian Developer who will look over your package, and either send it
  back to you with comments on what needs to be improved, or upload it
  in your name.
- Ask the person who initially made the packages to do this maintenance.
  They may or may not be working on this already.
- Convince a Debian Developer to do take on maintenance.

The first is the surest way to get the package included in the
distribution, but also the one with the most work (isn't it always). If
you have a package that you think is ready for inclusion into the Debian
archive, then upload it somewhere (including the source package), and
ask on the -mentors mailinglist for someone to review and possibly
upload it. To make sure this doesn't need too many iterations, you may
want to have a look at the 'Debian Policy Manual', at
<http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/>.

If you don't feel like taking on that work, and the person who initially
made the packages isn't willing to do so either, then filing an 'RFP'
bug (using the command 'reportbug wnpp' with the 'reportbug' package
installed) is the standard and documented way to get the latter.

> Packages may need some testing, but I have been told that they are
> working.

You obviously understand that in order for anyone to upload the package,
they'll need a bit more than 'I have been told that they are working'...

trying to fool the system.