Re: RFS: mount-systray

2009/6/25 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
> In <[🔎] 135eeb1d0906250600y552b3c5du980a01d3e3d3e7ae@mail.gmail.com>, Juan Jesús
> Ojeda Croissier wrote:
>>On 24 jun, 21:40, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>>> In <[🔎] 135eeb1d0906241156q69cfcf9fqeb7bfbe733ddc53b@mail.gmail.com>, Juan
>>> Jesús

>>> If you can think of *any* reason that openSUSE, Fedora, or Gentoo would
>>> want to use the software (albeit with different packaging) you should
>>> use normal (non-native) packaging.
>>
>>This software was created for a Debian-derived distribution
>>(Guadalinex). Maybe it's possible to change the packaging or compile
>>from the sources, but it wasn't the initial idea and it is not
>>supported by us. It is software for a Debian-derived distributions.
>
> It doesn't matter if you thought about doing it, or if you support it.  The
> is free software (right?), so someone could take it upon themselves to
> package and support it for a non-Debian-derived distribution.
>
> If that even makes sense, then the package should be a normal (non-native)
> package.  Even if the package is quite Debian-specific, if it is possible to
> separate the "packaging" from the "software" there are other advantages to
> normal (non-native) packaging.
>
> Out of the 45 packages that start with "apt", most of which would be fairly
> useless in a non-Debian-derived distribution, less than half are native.
> Using very rough methods, it looks like only 1044 out of 26923 packages
> available in main (stable+security+volatile+testing+testing-
> security+unstable+experimental) are native and I'll wager some of those
> could be usefully converted to normal packaging.

Ok, now I see the real meaning of normal (non-native) and native package.
I had really understood that a native package was a package created
for the distro (a Debian-rerived distro), instead of a existing
software that you packaging for the distro.

My mistake. I'll change it.
[...]

Thanks for the explanation :-)

Cheers