Re: how to fix "dpkg-gensymbols difference on (arch)"

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:32:37PM +0900, Hideki Yamane <henrich@debian.or.jp> wrote:
> Hi mentors,
>
>  I want to fix "FTBFS: dpkg-gensymbols difference on alpha"
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=519819
>
>  The easiest way is remove debian/libchasen2.symbols but I think
>  there may be more better solution. So, how do I deal with this?

You have two solutions:
- Implement architecture specific symbol files. You have facilities like
  includes, so that it can be easier, but since there is a symbol missing,
  it might be painful.
- Seeing what the symbols look like, it actually seems these symbols
  shouldn't be exported in the first place[1]
  It would fail to build on the architecture you use when building your
  packages, if you'd try to build with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt (provided
  your debian/rules file does the right thing in such a case, i.e.
  switching to -O0 instead of -O2).
  Using a version script to filter these out could be a solution.
  See https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=22106&action=view , for
  example.

I'd personally go for the second.

Mike, also occasional chasen user.