Re: FYI: QA uploads primer

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:01:30AM +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:00, Serafeim Zanikolas<serzan@hellug.gr> wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback Sandro. I've written the primer for technical-minded
> > debian users that (a) want to contribute to debian, but are uncertain about
> > their long-term time-commitment; and (b) given their uncertain commitment,
> > won't read the whole policy, devref, and newmaint guide just for the sake of
> > trying out the water.
>
> No, that's again wrong: you can't do a quality work without ready
> those documents (with this order: policy, devref, NM Guide). This is a
> false statement you're making and I'm stopping here reading your
> email.

There's a tradeoff: encouraging potential new contributors (in the hope that
they'll eventually read all the docs) at the cost of initially lower-quality
RFS requests, or making it clear from the start that packaging is hard and
time-consuming and they shouldn't even bother until they've read all 3 docs in
full [1]

> If you want pursuit this road, you'll drive apart potential future
> contributors because the moment they'll send the RFS and they'll get
> scolded very heavy due to their lack of basic knowledge, they do
> really wasted their and our time.

The primer repeatedly mentions lintian, which catches most policy violations,
and (if you would have read the previous email, you'd know that it) by now
also mentions policy as a must in the preparation section ...

I honestly don't mind dropping the page, but I haven't been convinced that the
issues you raise can't be addressed by adding more references and warning
flags in the doc.

-S

[1] the successor of mentors.d.n, which can easily automatically reject
packages with lintian errors, would eliminate this problem