Re: Packaging:library packaging stuff

Heyho!

[I'd appreciate cc:s.  I try to look in on the list archives after posting,
but replying is a pita...]

Sune:
>On 2009-06-08, Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
>>  * how can I build the dependencies of the -dev package in a sane way?
>> I'm= =20
>> sure creating them by hand is not optimal.  (And I'm sure I've read at
>> some=
>
>You need to create it by hand by looking at what includes is in *your*
>public headers.

Ok.

>> time how to refer to my own version properly for the dependency of
>> lib-dev= =20
>>=2D> lib, but I can't find it right now.)
>
>Depends: libfoo1 (= ${binary:Version})

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

>And talking about depens, why is the dependency between the kpart
>packkage and teh library package unversioned ?

Becuase I haven't bothered to care about it yet, because the itemms above
means I have to properly deal with dependencies anyway.  I haven't forgotten
it.

>>  * after installing a KDE plug-in: is my guess correct that I can't
>> really= =20
>> call kbuildsyocca4 since it needs to be called as user, not root?
>
>kded4 has a kdirwatch (inotify) watching the relevant dirs and runs
>kbuildsycoca4 as user when needed. It is also run on kde login.

Ok, thanks.

>>  * should I create a -dbg package?  I've just included the debugging
>> info i= n=20
>>=2Ddev right now since it's a small library, but I'm not quite sure.
>
>You at least need to get the -dbg package's dependencies right (by
>hand). My guess would be it needs kdelibs5-dbg and libqt4-webkit-dbg,
>else the backtrace will probably be of not much use.

Ok, haven't thought about this.   And obviously I don't want to pull in the
whole -dbg dependency chain in the -dev package.

>>  * How do I pass the right linker flags (-Wl,--as-needed?) through cmake
>> to= =20
>> the linker?  Whatever I tried so far, it was ignored and I get a few=20
>> warnings from dpkg-shlibdeps.  (This is more a question of style,
>> since=20 they're libraries I'd expect a KDE user has installed in any
>> case.)
>
>-DCMAKE_LD_FLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,defs".
>
>Unless you know what you are doing, don't pass --as-needed with out
>--no-undefined.

Ok.  Wasn't there some debconf talk some time ago about --as-needed?  Slides
or other paper available?  I think the section in libpkg-guide about this
issue is a bit short (I'll try to imrpove that section and at least put ion
the hint about using --no-undefined)

>And you should not unless you really know why put the SOVERSION in the
>-dev package.

Ok.

>I'm not sure that konq-plugin-webkit is a good package name, as I'm
>pretty sure it is not specific to konqueror in any way, but a more
>generic webkit based kpart.

Again: haven't thought about this.  Obvious, isn't it ...

so I guess kpart-webkit would be the best name, or is webkit-kpart
preferred?  Or just webkitkde?  (apart from kpartloader and kpartx ;-),
kpart doesn't figure as part of package names.  I guess most kparts are
shipped as part of applications?)

>Unless you know that all libraries *will* change their ABI at the same
>time, you should not put several libraries in the same package.

Ok.  I think I'll ask on the KDE webkit list about other users of these
libraries and how they maintain the API & ABI. I fear that at least for now
it might just be experimental enough to change at every version anyway (I'm
packaging svn snapshots...), but to balance that it might not have any other
users.  If that is correct, I wouldn't want to clutter the archive with 8
more tiny packages; splitting out the libraries later shouldn't be too hard.

>I so far haven't looked at anything but your email and the overview here
>http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/webkitkde_0.0.20090529svn974351-2.html

Much appreciated.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 14th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3175