Re: RFS: poco (updated package)

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/1 Krzysztof Burghardt <krzysztof@burghardt.pl>:
>>>
>>> I will ask upstream.
>>
>> Upstream is generally against using system (3rd party) zlib:
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2799209&group_id=132964&atid=725712
>>

> I'm not a Debian Developer but I've met this one with one of my
> "upstreams" as well. The reasoning is very vague. My upstream has been
> keeping an ancient copy of zlib in their tree/releases just because
> it's *easier* for them to build on Windows. I did the crude way simply
> purged the library and tried building. It worked =D I've never playing
> around with cmake (it looks like your upstream is using that) but it
> should be very easy to fix if it fails to build in pbuilder cause you
> will have error messages. From that point on it's detective and
> efficient googling work as well as $ apt-get source
> package_to_borrow_packaging_ideas_from. Good luck =D

IANADD either, but I've played with CMake a little in the past. I
don't know poco's build system, but you could probably put something
like:
8<---
option(USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB "Link against the system zlib instead of the
bundled one.")

if(USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB)
  message("Using system zlib.")
  # ...
else(USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB)
  message("Not using system zlib.")
  # ...
endif(USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB)
--->8

in the CMakeLists.txt somewhere. Then when you get debian/rules to run
cmake, make sure you pass the parameter -DUSE_SYSTEM_ZLIB=ON.

-- Jack