Re: RFS: confget -- read variables from INI-style configuration files

On Sunday 22 March 2009 02:17:30 Peter Pentchev wrote:

Hello,

> Well, actually what I did was take this change, another couple of
> things (the example files, a small fix to the testing framework), and
> just go ahead and release a new upstream version, confget-1.02.
>
> A Debian package for it is available on mentors.d.n now:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/confget/confget_1.02-1.dsc

Great. I looked at it and uploaded it.

> Let me know if you think that I should coalesce the changelog entries
> into a single 1.02 "Initial release" one.

Not a big deal, I passed -v, so your `Initial release. Closes: xxx' is also
included in *.changes, thus the BTS magic will work as well.

> > It is still not very clear to me how to find the full configuration file
> > syntax specification? Moreover there is neither a Standard nor a popular
> > protocol which stipulates that. How are users supposed to know the gory
> > details about it? Note that, "Anybody has looked at some INI files in the
> > past" doesn't sound extremely promising ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, as you say, there is no single standard for INI files.
> The confget utility implements some of the more popular constructs -
> sections (naturally), allowed whitespace in most positions, backslash
> line continuations, comments (both "#" and ";").  There are things that
> other parsers do that confget doesn't, like spaces *within* a variable
> name; if there is popular demand, it may learn to do that, too :)

I don't think I would use spaces in variable names ;-) However, there is
nothing wrong to support it if you find it useful.

> Version 1.02 of confget installs the t1.ini and t2.ini files as examples.
> Since those files' purpose until now was indeed to be contrived edge
> cases for regression testing, and examples are not generally supposed to
> be that bad (at least, not *supposed* to ;), I added some comments in
> those files so they are a bit more suitable.

Ok, thank you.

> Here's hoping you like version 1.02 better :)

I was not whining for a BNF grammar ;-), but for few documentation in order to
bring closer confget's reading of INI files to the user's writing them; that
would avoid subtle discrepancies or misunderstandings.