Re: orig tarball in conflict with debian policy

Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> The tarball was named foo-0.7.2.tgz which I have renamed to
> foo-0.7.2.tar.gz (actually tar.bz2 since I prefer bzip2)

Then what's exactly the problem? Why not rename it to
"foo_0.7.2.orig.tar.bz2" and be done with it?

Note that if upstream uses gzip, it would be nice sticking to it, since
the repacking isn't necessary.

Slightly OT, you could take a look at the comparisons John Goerzen made
about compression mechanisms[0][1]. They might swing your preference for
bzip2.

> The source package does not postfix the source folder with version
> number which will cause lintian to complain.
>
> Orig:
>   foo\
>      subdir1
>      subdir2
>
> My suggestion:
>   foo-x.y.z\
>      subdir1
>      subdir2

As Mark Brown said, AFAICT this really doesn't make any practical
difference. If there is a problem with it, then I've unknowingly been
making this mistake for years... :)

Cheers

[0]http://changelog.complete.org/archives/910-how-to-think-about-compression
[1]http://changelog.complete.org/archives/931-how-to-think-about-compression-part-2