Re: RFS: rsplib

On Friday 30 January 2009 08:08:43 Thomas Dreibholz wrote:
> Dear mentors,

Hi,

> We are looking for a sponsor for our package "rsplib". RSPLIB is the Open
> Source implementation (GPLv3) of the IETF's standard for Reliable Server
> Pooling (RSerPool), which is described in RFC 5351 to RFC 5356. If you a
> looking for a Grid compution solution which is simple, easy to setup and
> mostly self-configuring, you are probably looking for RSerPool! It provides
> leightweight protocols and functionalities for the management of server
> pools and sessions between users and pools. In particular, RSerPool can be
> used for highly available applications and for load distribution and load
> balancing in server pools. Its API is simple to use and understand, making
> the development of own distributed applications very easy. Details on
> RSerPool and the RSPLIB can be found on our project's website:
> http://tdrwww.iem.uni-
> due.de/dreibholz/rserpool/.

I'm not familiar with rserpool, so I can't comment on it, though the code
looks pretty clean.

>http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rsplib/rsplib_2.6.0-1unstable0.dsc

This is not the version found at mentors, so I can only comment on
2.6.0-0unstable1 which is currently sitting there. I'm not sure waht might
went wrong.

* You don't need 'unstable' in your debian revision; that would be confusing
(at least) when that such a package version migrates to Debian testing or
released with stable.

* You need the following build-dependencies (building in a clean chroot would
help to identifiy such problems):

libx11-dev
libxext-dev
libxmu-dev
libxi-dev

Generally if you link with -lfoo, then you would need libfoo-dev in your
build-depends, as libfoo-dev will pull whatever is further needed.

In your case you can even make it with libxi-dev and libxmu-dev only in
build-depends, since these will pull libxext-dev and libx11-dev (as
dependants), but IMO it is far cleaner to express your build-depends based on
what you link with.

* There are some lintian warnings you want to clean up a bit;
of course you want to use lintian from sid.