Re: Added requirement for translation of debconf templates

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:37:20 +0100
Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Le dimanche 18 janvier 2009 à 12:24 +0000, Neil Williams a écrit :
> > ... I'm now going to require, for any package
> > using debconf that requires sponsorship, that debconf translations are
> > requested and updated by the maintainer on an ongoing basis.
>
> You mean "that requires [my] sponsorship" ?

Anything I review or sponsor - a successful review must precede
sponsoring so if I'm going to sponsor, this criterion is applied at the
review stage and a failure for this criterion - even if all others are
prefect - will cause a rejection.

In most cases, a rejection from one sponsor is taken into account by
another, providing that the rejection is clearly explained and the
steps required to resolve the problems are reasonable.

I would encourage anyone reviewing RFS emails - not just sponsors but
the large number of people on this list who are not DD's - to
incorporate this requirement into their own reviews. As already noted
on this list, translation is not an optional extra or some
after-thought. Translation is a core part of free software, debconf
is a core part of Debian and only Debian can ensure that debconf
questions are translated. It makes no sense to do one part without the
other.

As I mentioned in the first email:
"Any package using debconf must have a good reason to do so - good
enough that the template needs to be translated."

In other words, any package that does not deem it necessary to call for
translations *before the first upload and before any upload where the
template has changed since the last version* should not be using
debconf in the first place.

Consider the real impact of debconf - users get to answer the questions
ONCE upon installation or upgrade. What is the point of asking questions
exclusively in English for the majority of users who install the
package? What is the point of asking *new or modified* questions
exclusively in English? What good is it only to have the translations
in a later version of the package that does not need the questions to be
answered? The problem only gets worse for packages with a high popcon
score because all those users will only get the question in English
when they upgrade the package, unless the upload to Debian is delayed
until the translations can be updated.

debconf only ever asks the same question once - to be effective, that
question should be translated the very first time that question is
offered to the user. Translating it after the user has answered the
question in English is pointless - at least as far as that user is
concerned.

I've filed a wishlist bug against lintian asking for support for
lintian checking if debconf templates change but the changed string is
not translated into any language. (i.e. the templates were modified but
the upload was made before asking for updated translations). #512210

--

Neil Williams