Re: RFS: numptyphysics

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Gabriele Giacone <1o5g4r8o@gmail.com> wrote:

> They have been forcemerged almost 2 months ago [1]. To close both, in
> d/changelog, should I refer to both or referring to master bug (496586)
> is enough or being merged closing one of them, the other one is
> automatically closed?

Ah, I missed that because they have different package names in the
title and thus show. Just close the master one, merged bugs are closed
at the same time.

>> Also, if you're interested in games, you might want to join the Debian
>> Games Team:
> Thanks for the hint. Maybe next game.

Feel free to lurk until then, or CC debian-devel-games if you need a sponsor.

Since I want this package in Debian to use on my OpenMoko FreeRunner,
here is a review:

The INCLUDES = -I/usr/include change shouldn't be nessecary because
/usr/include is in the default search path unless your compiler is
utterly broken.

You can make the patch to the desktop file not needed by getting
upstream to generate it at ./configure time, using the value of
@bindir@.

Some warnings from desktop-file-validate, please ask upstream to fix them:

data/numptyphysics.desktop: warning: key "Encoding" in group "Desktop
Entry" is deprecated
data/numptyphysics.desktop: error: value
"application/x-numptyphysics-level;application/x-numptyphysics-collection"
for string list key "MimeType" in group "Desktop Entry" does not have
a semicolon (';') as trailing character

What exactly is Osso (it is mentioned in the desktop file)?

You currently build against the embedded code copy of Box2D, see log
extract below. Please ask upstream to remove the embedded code copy of
Box2D. Removing it in debian/rules before ./configure will help
prevent the package from accidentally building against the embedded
version instead of the Debian package.

g++  -g -O2   -o numptyphysics numptyphysics-Path.o
numptyphysics-Canvas.o numptyphysics-Font.o numptyphysics-Levels.o
numptyphysics-ZipFile.o numptyphysics-Scene.o numptyphysics-Game.o
numptyphysics-Script.o numptyphysics-App.o numptyphysics-Config.o
numptyphysics-Http.o numptyphysics-Os.o numptyphysics-Ui.o
numptyphysics-Dialogs.o numptyphysics-Event.o numptyphysics-Worker.o
numptyphysics-happyhttp.o numptyphysics-zoomer.o
numptyphysics-OsHildon.o numptyphysics-OsFreeDesktop.o
numptyphysics-OsWin32.o libbox2d.a -lSDL  -lz -lX11 -lstdc++ -lSDL_ttf
-lSDL_image

You should document the Box2D/ copyright and license in debian/copyright.

The upstream code looks GPLv3+ rather than GPLv3-only, please correct
debian/copyright.

happyhttp.* have a different license and copyright, please correct
debian/copyright. It is also an embedded code copy, please ask
upstream to remove it, package it for debian. If numptyphysics enters
Debian before it is separated, please notify the security team that
you are embedding it. Upstream for it is here:

http://scumways.com/happyhttp/happyhttp.html

zoomer.cpp doesn't have any copyright info, please ask upstream to fix that.

Upstream really needs to put something in AUTHORS, ChangeLog, NEWS, README etc.

It doesn't have anything to do with Debian, but upstream should really
build numptywinicon.res from an icon file and a .rc file instead of
shipping the .res file.

data/femkeklaver.ttf has "Typeface © (femkeklaver.nl). 2008. All
Rights Reserved" in its copyright info, looks non-free to me so you
need to repack the tarball to remove it and get it remove upstream
too. If it is free, then you should document the copyright and license
info in the debian/copyright file. In any case, it is a good idea to
package fonts separately and depend on them since fonts are useful
outside the games they get used in. It is a cute font, so it would be
great to get it freed. Try getting it licensed under the GPL or one of
the permissive licences (MIT/BSD) and if that fails, try getting it
licensed under the SIL OFL. If that fails, there is probably a
decorative font already in Debian you could depend on. Using
fontconfig would help upstream find a suitable font and fall back on
whatever font is installed (see chromium-bsu for an example of a
package that does this right).

hildon is available in Debian, why do you disable it in the
./configure arguments?

How about adding a debian/watch file for uscan/DEHS? You might need to
ask upstream to release tarballs, tell them 'make distcheck' is their
friend.

/usr/games/numptyphysics looks strange in the manual page, just change
that to numptyphysics. Likewise for $HOME/, I'd recommend using ~/
instead.

A PNG file is installed in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps,
which is reserved for scalable images like SVG.

Some lintian complaints that mirror the above comments:

I: numptyphysics source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
P: numptyphysics: no-upstream-changelog
I: numptyphysics: font-in-non-font-package
usr/share/numptyphysics/femkeklaver.ttf
I: numptyphysics: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key
/usr/share/applications/numptyphysics.desktop:2 Encoding

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise