Re: RFS: brewtarget

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Philip Lee <rocketman768@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "brewtarget". If you check
> the package and cannot sponsor it, please tell me how I can fix it.

I'm not sponsoring additional packages at the moment, but below is
some feedback.

> My motivation for maintaining this package is: for the love of beer.

 :) a most admirable motivation!

> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/b/brewtarget/brewtarget_1.2-1.dsc

My comments/questions:

You can probably remove most of the comment lines from the manual page.

In the package description, you don't need to mention which platforms
it runs on. More tips for improving it can be had by consulting the
debian-i18n folks behind the smith review project:

http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithReviewProject

You may or may not want to update debian/copyright to comply with the
draft machine parseable debian/copyright DEP:

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

What does this sentence in debian/copyright mean? "The rest of the
images in this package are under an unrestricted license." I'd suggest
using an existing license for them, MIT/Expat or CC0 or similar would
probably be suitable.

You might want to switch to the minimalist debhelper 7 dh debian/rules
file. Watch this video to be convinced:

https://penta.debconf.org/dc9_schedule/events/418.en.html

debian/watch can be reduced to 2 lines by removing the comments, which
don't appear to be needed.

I'd suggest renaming the upstream changelog file to NEWS (as the GNU
coding standards doc recommends) and organising it per-release.

dh_installchangelogs installs changelogs and dh_compress compresses
them, you should not need to do those manually.

You might want to consider switching to dpkg-source v3 source packages:

http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0

--
bye,
pabs