Re: Debian changelog vs upstream changelog

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 12:09 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> It might actually be best to store all this upstream data in the
> PackageMap or somewhere associated with it and map from Debian package
> -> PackageMap name -> upstream metadata.
>
> I'm also reminded of things like DOAP, which are sometimes stored in
> upstream tarballs:

DoaP is idle; it needs someone to pick it up and finish it off - its
lacking well defined relationships with other projects, which sharply
limits the benefits individual projects get from a adopting it. Being
RDF though, you can process doap quite trivially and there are some
half-decent directory services around now.

As far as PackageMap goes, it seems a bit odd that it would both use
XML, and not take the RDF approach of identifying objects by their url -
if they did that, then each distro can (in their own db) map to the url
for a project - and you can join across distros by that upstream url.

-Rob