Re: Seeking advice on w9wm

Dear Mats,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 02:40:45PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> I would appreciate a comment or two on the continuation of
> the window manager W9wm. It has been orphaned a year ago
> in #508097. There was a single response from the maintainer
> Benjamin Drieu <drieu@debian.org>, but then a year of silence.
>
> Recently on December 2nd, Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>
> threatens to remove the package within a month, should no
> further action surface.

Please, don't read this as a threat but as a proposal. Right now the
package is under "maintenance" of Debian QA, i.e. technically everyone
who finds some time. Under these circumstances it is impossible to
maintain as many packages as QA would have to. So, this proposal was
written by me to make QA a bit more managable, definitely not to make
user's life harder!

> I have this morning for my own testing restructured the package in two
> ways, and I have arrived at lintian clean packages.
>
> My present question is this: Could I in all friendliness push forward
> to apply for a takeover of W9wm, or is it preferable to drop the
> package. I would imagine that special care is involved when a DM falls
> short of constantly monitoring a package.

The package is orphaned and if you would like to maintain it and of
course bring the necessary skills, feel free to go for it. I'd love to
see a package been taking care of instead of being remove, espacially in
this case where lack of interest by developers and users has been the
main reason for proposal to remove it.

So, bring the package back to life, set yourself as maintainer, upload
it to mentors.debian.net and ask for sponsorship here. I'm sure there'll
be someone here to push it into the archive.

Hauke