Re: Advice regarding packages that can only be upgraded via dist-upgrade

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:25 AM, أحمد المحمودي
<aelmahmoudy@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>  I am working on geda-gaf package [1]. It is almost ready except for a
>  single issue: to upgrade the several geda-* packages, they can only
>  upgrade using apt-get dist-upgrade, ie. an apt-get upgrade won't
>  upgrade them, the reason is that the new release of geda-* packages
>  depend on a libgeda38, while the old release of geda-* packages depend
>  on libgeda33. So I've put a Replaces: libgeda33 in libgeda38, yet that
>  still does not make it work. Is there a solution for this ? Or is that
>  acceptable, and I should just leave it as is ?

That is completely normal. Please remove the Replaces, they should not be there.

Please also read libpkg-guide and the two bugs filed on it for
information on how to maintain library packages.

You might want to talk to upstream about their ABI stability, it
sounds like they bump SONAME quite often. An alternative would be to
make the library private if no other source packages use it.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise