Re: lintian errors, ancient-libtool

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In this case I'm guessing the upstream package has an embedded code
>> copy of gettext, I'd suggest asking upstream to remove it and switch
>> to the standard system gettext.
>
> Is this something I can do myself to? How?

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#repackagedorigtargz

The basic idea is to unpack the tarball, strip out the code and create
a new tarball with a different version number. Ideally upstream would
do this and make a new release. If upstream is MIA you could hijack
the project. If you cannot do that because it is hosted on a private
server instead of somewhere like sourceforge (see their abandoned
project takeover process) then you could create a fork and convince
maintainers of the package in other distros to join you.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise