Re: RFS: pidgin-skype

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 18:27 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>  * You should probably not depend on pidgin, I guess the plugin
>    is also useable from finch (the console version).

You would want to depend on libpurple0, but that should be happening
automatically. (I haven't tried building this package.)

The plugin requires libpurple >= 2.1.0, as per its PurplePluginInfo
struct in libskype.c. So you need to drop the pidgin dependency and
change the libpurple build-dep to be something like this:

Build-Dep: libpurple-dev (< 3), libpurple-dev (>= 2.1)

Also, why does the diff include a huge delta for the README?

You have README.txt listed twice in debian/docs.

Why does this only suggest the skype package? It doesn't work without
it. Shouldn't that be a Depends?

Why mention Adium in the Debian package description? Adium only runs on
Mac OS X? That whole description feels to me like it needs some work.
Here's a quick suggestion (not meant as a finished product necessarily):

        This protocol plugin allows libpurple to communicate with Skype.
        Applications using libpurple (Pidgin, Finch, Instantbird, etc.)
        can thus show your Skype contacts alongside those from other
        protocols, and you can communicate with them using that
        application instead of the Skype user interface.
        .
        This plugin communicates with the Skype application in the
        background to perform its work, so it's necessary to have Skype
        installed and running.

Richard

P.S. Eion, skype_buddy_free() doesn't need all the "if (foo)" bits
before the g_free()s. g_free() is documented to always check for NULL.