Re: Convenience copies in upstream code: dependencies, removal, copyright, and other issues

Ben Finney wrote:

>* Declare dependencies on the version of the library in Debian, even
>  though that version may be later than the convenience copy currently
>  in the original source?

Section 4.1.3 of Debian policy says

   If the included code is already in the Debian archive in the form
   of a library, the Debian packaging should ensure that binary
   packages reference the libraries already in Debian and the
   convenience copy is not used. If the included code is not already
   in Debian, it should be packaged separately as a prerequisite if
   possible.

That seems to be a yes, or a yes + update the library, at least as a
best practice.

>* Remove the convenience copy from the original source archive, or
>  merely from the binary package?

IMHO, it depends. If the code is dfsg free and not too big, don't
bother to repack.

>* Document the convenience copy in the dependent package's ‘copyright’,
>  even if it doesn't appear in the binary package?

I thought everything in the source package should be documented in
debian/copyright?  At least, this seems to be what the ftp-masters
expect, based on some recent email exchanges I have read. Sorry no
references, but maybe check the pkg-perl or debian-science archives.