Re: RFS: john

Le Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 01:13:59PM -0500, Ruben Molina a écrit :
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "john".

Dear Ruben,

thank you for adopting john. I will upload the pakage that does the adoption,
unless you want to work with a regular sponsor (which I am not).

Before talking about the package itself, I would like to say that I really
think that you should have put a bit more background in this ITP, and first of
all mention that it is an adoption. Are you a user of john, do you have a
background in the field of password cracking, do you maintain other
packages,… , all these things that will help people understand what is going
on, and help you to find a sponsor!

I would have already uploaded john if there would not be this lintian warning:
“I: john: package-contains-empty-directory usr/lib/”. In the binary package it
is of course harmless, but I am affraid it could be the symptom of another
problem, in particular that some files could be missing. Can you confirm that
no file is supposed to be there? Then I can either upload the current version
on mentors.d.o, or pull an update from the collab-maint git repository.

I see that you have removed the DM-Upload-Allowed from debian/control. Are you
DM? If yes, do not hesitate to tell (with a few arguments) if you think you are
prepared to upload independantly. I had a quick look at your PTS page and it
looks good. But before all, you may check with your AM if he does not disagree.

After the adoption is done you will be the sole maintainer of john. Can you or
David take care of terminating the pkg-john project and its mailing lists on
Alioth ? (Possibly after backing up their archives somewhere.)

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan