Re: Dependency against ant

Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> A Java package I'm working on (osmosis) uses some bzip2 embedded code
> copy (less than 10 classes) from the ant project (classes
> org.apache.tools.bzip2.*): if I want to avoid embedded code copies, I
> need to make osmosis depend on ant, forcing the user to have a whole
> copy of ant (and its dependencies) installed.
>
> Should I depend on ant anyway, or can I just leave the embedded copy, in
> order to have lighter dependencies?
>
> Thanks, Giovanni.

Hi,

I would say you should depend on ant. If 3.5MB of dependencies[1] is too
much for your package, you probably have to convince the Debian Java
Maintainers[2] to put this part of ant in a separate binary package.

Though before you go on with that consider the following: osmosis's
current dependencies pulls in 76MB for openjdk-6-jre-headless[3] alone
(ignoring non-free VMs). Those 3.5MB are somewhat pale in comparison to
that.

You may want to check if other VMs takes less space and try if your
package can run with those.

~Niels

[1] Based on aptitude's "Uncompressed Size", excluding "Recommends" and
java-runtimes, which you cannot avoid depending on anyway.

[2] List email: debian-java@lists.debian.org
They are also available on irc.debian.org #debian-java

[3] openjdk-6-jre which in turn depends on openjdk-6-jre-headless.
default-jre pulls in openjdk-6-jre.

Note:

In case you were wondering why I excluded sun-java6-jre, which is
provides java6-runtime and only ~17MB (excluding its dependencies):
sun-java6 is expected to reach "End of Life" during/before squeeze
is/becomes stable. Since it is non-free it cannot be patched in case of
security issues, so there is an interest in removing it before its EOL.

Sadly security bugs in JVMs are not unheard of:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src=sun-java6;include=tags%3Asecurity