Re: presumable last policy change before releasing Squeeze?

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Ben Finney wrote:

It's not a problem if packages included in a Debian release are conformant with a slightly outdated version of Policy. I don't see that as a good reason for delaying the upload of an otherwise-ready release of your package.

-q:

- I don't have anything to upload yet,
- when I will, it won't really affect end users,
- I like a fresh Standards-Version,
- I'd like to work on the package in a single focussed session.

-v -v -v:

The version in Squeeze (0.15-1) corresponds to the current upstream version, so there's no new Debian package to release as of now. 0.15-1 conforms to Policy version 3.8.1, supposedly not very far behind 3.8.3.0.

Although as upstream I consider the utility finished, I expect a small change in the documentation. (It depends on external stuff, so I can't do it just yet.) Once I cover that, I'd like to merge it into the Debian package, also updating the packaging itself to newest guidelines.

This is tedious and doesn't bring anything to users, so instead of rushing it and possibly making several Policy rounds until Squeeze ships, I'd like to concentrate it into one session/upload. In this case package tidyness through less work is more important to me than package availability, since it won't bring anything to users, just keep my stuff neat.

Are you saying that I should update the package as soon as said external stuff allows, and go with the then-current Policy version into Sqeeze, leaving my sponsor and the build network more time as well?

Thanks,
lacos