How to detect 32 or 64 bit at build time?

Hi,

the new version of arb I want to package requires to set a variable

   ARB_64=0/1            1=>compile 64 bit version

to specify whether it will be compiled on 32 or 64 bit architecture.  Is
there any safe way to set this variable automatically from environment?
I expected dpkg-architecture to provide this information but it does not.

Am I missing something?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

PS: I'm not subscribed to this list so CC would be nice.

--
http://fam-tille.de
Klarmachen zum Ändern!