Re: Taking care of existing packages

In <20090820133354.GB2184@ime.usp.br>, Rogério Brito wrote:
>The reason why I posted to both is that I see a trend in -mentors that
>many new contributors seem to create an artificial need as a reason to
>get their contributions in the distribution and choose to package a new
>program.

Instead your first step should be running wnpp-alert and helping maintain a
package you already have installed.  If you are lucky enough to have nothing
reported by wnpp-alert or just can't help there, rc-alert is also a good
place to start.  Both of these tools should be better publicized.

New packages are fine, but there seems to be a constant need for more
maintainers of the packages that already exist.