Re: Packaging kakadu (JPEG 2000) binaries

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Paul Wise<pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 7:29 PM, <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You are free to play around with these executables and even to re-distribute
>> them, so long as such use or re-distribution is accompanied this copyright
>> notice and is not for commercial gain. Note: Binaries can only be used for
>> non-commercial purposes. If in doubt please contact Dr. Taubman. ...
>
> Looks like the software is acceptable for non-free, or a downloader
> package in contrib. A better alternative would be to work with JasPer
> and OpenJPEG upstreams to implement the features you require under a
> free license.

+1 Paul,

I would very much like to see extra work sent upstream for openjpeg to
improve it. I helped package openjpeg for debian and I am still a
heavy user of it so have a vested interest in its improvment.

Specificly what functionality are you requiring that is currently not
supported in openjpeg?

BTW Openjpeg is under the pkg-phototools group
(http://pkg-phototools.alioth.debian.org/), so you may wish to join us
there on the mailing list for further discussion on what we can do to
improve the library.

Regards

Robin