Define files for multiple packages from one tarball

Sorry to bother everyone again with a noob question (Google was no
help), but how do you define which files go in which package when you
have multiple packages for one tarball. I've got 4 packages,
libweed-dev, libweed0, lives and lives-data. I've created a
package.install file for each of them.

$ cat libweed-dev.install
usr/include
usr/lib/*.a
usr/lib/*.so

$ cat libweed0.install
usr/lib/*.so.0*

$ cat lives-data.install
usr/share
usr/lib/lives/plugins/effects/rendered
usr/lib/lives/plugins/encoders

$cat lives.install
usr/bin
usr/lib/lives/plugins/effects/realtime/weed
usr/lib/lives/plugins/playback
usr/lib/lives/plugins/decoders
hrickards@siddy:~/downloads/lives/weed/lives-1.

However, everything apart from the changelog and copyright goes into
lives? I've got them separated out line after line in debian/control and
dh_listpackages shows them correctly:

$ dh_listpackages
lives
libweed0
libweed-dev
lives-data

Also, everything under binary-indep in debian/rules comes up with 'You
asked that all arch in(dep) packages be built, but there are none of
that type'.

Also, possibly of some relevance is the fact that I originally specified
the type as 'single binary' when dh_make asked me. However, I've created
blank packages for both single and multiple binaries, and I can't find
any difference.

Thanks for any help

- --
Thanks