Re: ldconfig symlink issue

On Wednesday 29,July,2009 12:38 AM, Harry Rickards wrote:
> I apologize for this question, as it's probably easy to answer for
> someone experienced in packaging libraries.
>
> When packaging a shared library, I can't seem to create the symlinks
> correctly. If I let the Makefile create the symlinks I get
> ldconfig-symlink-is-not-a-symlink, however if I remove the lines that
> make the symlinks I get ldconfig-symlink-missing-for-shlib from lintian.
>
> Again, I apologize for this being a noob question.

A library package should contain the following:
/usr/lib/libfoo.so.X (link) => libfoo.so.X.Y.Z
/usr/lib/libfoo.so.X.Y.Z (regular file)

A library -dev package should contain the following:
/usr/lib/libfoo.so (link) => libfoo.so.X.Y.Z
and optionally:
/usr/lib/libfoo.a (regular file)
/usr/lib/libfoo.la (regular file)

If I am not mistaken, ldconfig-symlink-is-not-a-symlink arises from a
package that contains a file /usr/lib/libfoo.so.X, rather than a
symlink, as I've shown above, while ldconfig-symlink-missing-from-shlib
arises from a package that does not contain the /usr/lib/libfoo.so.X
symlink.

You can get more information about a lintian tag by running:
$ lintian-info -t <lintian tag>

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html is a good
read, by the way.

--