Re: Nomeclator of plugins

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 03:02:19PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 200907221847.44193.leo@alaxarxa.net>, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> >I think I have not seen it in the Debian policies. I have a dual role in
> > one application: developer and co-maintainer. I would like to ask one
> > question that fits in both.
> >
> >I'm in the bulmages project. It's a big piece of software with several
> >applications with libs and plugins. It's a cmake build project. The
> > plugins we have are libXXXX.so. I add the properties (soname and version)
> > to the plugins as the project main properties. The packages consist in
> > several packages, etc.
> >
> >The second, and it's my main question is about the nomenclature of the
> >plugins. The guy says that the Suse force to create a package -dev if you
> >have this kind of things (.so and symbolic links -.so.x.y.z).  But I did a
> >package for some .so (-dev) of the software, but not for all. Do we have a
> >similar rule?
>
> Something like that.

No, nothing like that.

> (IANADD)
>
> A library package should install lib$SO_NAME.so.$SO_VERSION and be called
> lib$SO_NAME$SO_VERSION.

Except that these aren't regular shared libraries, they're dynamically
loaded plugins.

Leopold: no, Debian has no requirement that every shared object have a -dev
package associated with it (see the many and various Apache module packages
-- I wonder how SuSE deals with that hoary chestnut).  However, you MUST NOT
put your plugins directly into /usr/lib (or any other ld.so search path);
instead, place them in something like /usr/lib/<package>/plugins and have
the application look for them in there.

- Matt