Re: RFS: mscgen

Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> I looked at v0.16-1 of mscgen that you uploaded to mentors.debian.net.  We are
> good to go except for a few small details.
>
> Comments:
>
> - You've modified the .orig.tar.gz to remove a file that doesn't have license
>   information.  In such cases, you should indicate that in the version number
>   of the package (by adding a +dfsg1 or such to it).  See also - lintian-info
>   for the tag dfsg-version-with-period.

Done - I used "+dfsg-<debian-number>" since "+dfsg<debian-version>"
wanted me to rename the "orig" to include the deb-version (I assumed it
 would make me unable to recycle the orig in case of a debian specific
upgrade).

I had a short chat about this on the #debian-mentors and from what I
gathered there was no definite standard on this and supposedly both
notations were okay.

> - Please also include a small README.source documenting the above and
>   indicating the use of dpatch (and refer to the README.source of dpatch in
>   it).  This is necessary per policy 3.8.1 (and I think a lintian check
>   corresponding to this is on its way).

Added, I decided to include (most of) the dpatch README.source (it
seemed to be written for this purpose).

When I read up on this I noticed that the upgrade checklist [1] uses the
word "should" whereas the standard policy [4.14] uses "recommendation" [2].

> Suggestions:
>
> - Few of the example files have a syntax error in them because they have a C
>   style comment.  Please consider including a dpatch that makes them work with
>   mscgen without the user having to do any modifications to them.
>
> - You don't have to have the ".0" in Standards-Version: 3.8.2.0.  Only the
>   first 3 digits of the version number are enough.
>
> The package looks good and we can upload if the above "Comments" are fixed.

Done and done. (NB: the examples were/are added via a dpatch
01_add_examples)

> Also, read on ...
>
> On 09/07/09 11:54 +0200, Niels Thykier said ...
>> Yes, the 0.15 release suffers from two very apparent bugs (an easily
>> introduced seg. fault and a regression on a "promoted" sample file). I
>> think that these could, however, easily be changed into using being a
>> 0.15 with some debian patches.
>
> This is preferred usually if development is too active to consider uploading
> an SVN snapshot to unstable.
>
>> Though such a change would require that the version number of mscgen was
>> lowered. How would I go about doing that in regards to my changelog?
>> Merge all entries so far into 0.15-5 (updating svn-releases to patches)?
>
> Yes, you could do that.  As as aside, I don't mind (and infact prefer it) that
> you don't add a new changelog stanza every time a new revision of the package
> is uploaded to mentors.debian.net
>
>>> In debian/control Priority need not be extra, you can make it optional.  See
>>> the thread http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2009/05/msg00666.html also
>> Done.
>
> The Priority stills seems to be extra in v0.16-1.  But this will not be a
> blocker for our upload.

Right, forgot to move that over to the new upstream release build. Fixed
it (again).

>>> Please consider maintaining the package in collab-maint on alioth, you would
>>> want to add the Vcs-* headers to debian/control in case you do that.
>>>
>>> In case there is no location from where you can download the upstream source
>>> (because you are packaging an svn snapshot), it is a good idea to have a
>>> get-orig-source target in debian/rules that gets the upstream source from svn
>>> and makes an .orig.tar.gz.
>> Both of these sounds like good ideas, I will have a look at them.
>
> Thanks for considering.

Thanks for sponsoring.

> Giridhar

It is uploaded on mentors again (0.16+dfsg-1).

~Niels

[1] /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz
[2] line 2 of [4.14]
 - http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-readmesource
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org

NB: Sorry for the dobble mail, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag, but I forgot to
send it to the list.