Re: RFS: mscgen

Hi Niels,

I looked at mscgen 0.16~svn35-1 on mentors.debian.net

On 09/07/02 16:51 +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag said ...
> On 09/07/01 14:58 +0200, Niels Thykier said ...
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "mscgen".
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > mscgen     - Message Sequence Chart (MSC) generator
>
> I will take a look at this package.

Comments:

I noticed that the "released" version upstream is 0.15 and you choose to
package the svn version.  Is this a conscious decision?  Any reason why you
choose to do it this way?  The svn snapshot is suitable for widespread user.
You might want to upload 0.15 to unstable and upload 0.16~svn to experimental.

For an svn snapshot package, the debian/watch file doesn't really make sense.

in debian/control, it doesn't look like you need versioned dependencies on
most of the packages in Build-Depends.  You don't need to Build-Depend on
libc6 (Hint: see build-essential) and you probably need libgd2-noxpm-dev or
libgd2-xpm-dev but not both.

in the Package: mscgen stanza, you don't need "libgd2-xpm | libgd2-noxpm" in
Depends.  That would be generated automagically from ${shlibs:Depends}
depending on what you have in Build-Depends based on the above (Hint: read
about substvars and ${shlibs:Depends}).

In the Description "Can be used ..." is a bit abrupt, you might want to say
"mscgen can be used ..." and "There also exists extensions ..." would rather
be "extensions also exist ...".  "although MSCs need not be complicated to
create or use." is a bit odd in there.

The description of the dpatch 01_debian-patch is verbose and is incorrect wrt
what the patch actually does (in particular about the linker flags).

in debian/rules, it is not necessary to have "dh_installdocs TODO" when there
is a debian/docs file that lists TODO. dh_makeshlibs is not needed.

Suggestions:

In debian/control Priority need not be extra, you can make it optional.  See
the thread http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2009/05/msg00666.html also

Please consider maintaining the package in collab-maint on alioth, you would
want to add the Vcs-* headers to debian/control in case you do that.

In case there is no location from where you can download the upstream source
(because you are packaging an svn snapshot), it is a good idea to have a
get-orig-source target in debian/rules that gets the upstream source from svn
and makes an .orig.tar.gz.

Cheers,

Giridhar

--