Re: Specifying ia32-libs in control when on a 64 bit Debian/Ubuntu?

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Goswin von Brederlow<goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Ignacio Valdes <ivaldes@hal-pc.org> writes:
>>
>>> It would seem a simple solution but I've searched and searched and
>>> have not found one. Is there no resolution for this?
>>
>> The solution is to generate multiple packages, one for each
>> architecture.  This is the normal way in which Debian packages are
>> built.
>>
>> The problem you're running into is that you want to reuse the same
>> binary package on multiple architectures, which is not a standard way of
>> creating Debian packages.  The tools therefore have not been enhanced to
>> add features to support that (since Debian as a project doesn't much
>> care about that use case).
>
> You actually shouldn't build the package for amd64 at all in such a
> case (any more). Install ia32-apt-get and then you can install the
> i386 package.

I realize that but I would like to have a single package that detects
that it is running on i386 and does not have ia32-libs as a dependency
or detects that it is on amd64 and does instruct the user that
ia32-libs is a dependency. I've been told that this is not possible
with dpkg and I've searched and read manuals, etc so far without
finding that this is possible.

-- IV