Re: RFS: iulib (3rd attempt)

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:17:50PM +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "iulib".
>
> * Package name    : iulib
>  Version         : 0.3-1
>  Upstream Author : Thomas Breuel
> * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/iulib/
> * License         : Apache-2.0
>  Section         : graphics
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> libiulib   - a library of image understanding-related algorithms
> libiulib-dev - a library of image understanding-related algorithms --
> development files

> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/iulib/iulib_0.3-1.dsc

Hi,

IANADD so I cannot upload your package.  It appears interesting though
so I had a look at it and I have a few comments for you.

The package fails to build under pbuilder from two causes:

First, you call dh_quilt_unpatch from your clean target, however this
command is provided by quilt which is not part of build-essential.
Pbuilder only auto-installs the dependencies after cleaning the package -
but it will not do this as the clean fails.  You might fix this by doing
"dh_quilt_unpatch || true" in your clean.

Second, you need a build-dep for libtool which is required by the build.

In your control file, libiulib-dev Depends: on libiulib, however your
packaging builds the library in libiulib0 so the -dev package will
not install.  I find it worth actually installing my final packages and
using them to catch errors of this sort before upload.

I haven't used debhelper 7 myself yet so can't comment on the rules file.

Recent comments here suggest that "a" is un-needed at the start of the
short description :)

Is it worth mentioning in the short description that the library is for
C++ ?  Many other libraries specify the language in the short description
so that it is obvious when browsing e.g. aptitude lists.  The mention of
STL in the long description is a hint, to be sure, and Debtags will one
day give a definite idea, so other people's thoughts are welcome.

Copyright looks good on a quick check.

As well, there is a pedantic Lintian warning: "P: iulib source:
source-contains-svn-control-dir" .  Seems like each of your dirs has the
.svn directory still.  It's only a pedantic warning and not something I
would think worth re-creating the tarball for, but might be worth asking
upstream to clean their release.

Nice work in general, thankyou, and if you could fix the above then I
wish you luck with finding a sponsor.

Nick