problem with hard links?

Hi. I'm trying to create a Debian package, for the first time.
It is for a compiler, so a source-based package is not
practical -- you have to either already have the
binaries or do a cross build from a system that does.
(We could possibly put together a "source" package composed of assembly files.)

So, well, besides the compiler, there are libraries
that go with it.

The libraries are like this:

 root/pkg/pkg1/libpkg1.so
 root/pkg/pkg2/libpkg2.so
 root/lib/libpkg1.so
 root/lib/libpkg2.so

The "duplicates" are hardlinks.
I believe they need to be so.
I read that hard links are ok, but couldn't find information if they need special handling.
 (err, maybe what is below)

Trying to install my package I get:
dpkg: error processing ./cm3-min-PPC_LINUX-d5.8.1.deb (--install):
 error creating hard link `./usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/PPC_LINUX/libm3.so': No suc
h file or directory
 ./cm3-min-PPC_LINUX-d5.8.1.deb

Hints?

My package is currently minimal in that it has absolutely no scripts.
I suppose if I really must I can recreate the links in postinst
but I would rather not. Can this work "directly"?

Aha:

ppca:/tmp/tmp79HWvP/perl-5.8.8/debian# grep "ln " *
rules:  ln $(build)/perl-base/usr/bin/perl \

Is that like what I need to do? I don't even currently have a rules file. :(

 - Jay