Re: RFS: ah

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Harry Rickards<hrickards@l33tmyst.com> wrote:

> On 06/22/09 18:56, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:39, Harry Rickards<hrickards@l33tmyst.com> wrote:
>>> The package appears to be lintian clean apart from a few warnings that I
>>> can't seem to correct (http://pastebin.com/f2ed86daf)
>>
>> please explain WHY you can't correct them. for example:
>>
>> W: ah: manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man1/ah.1.gz
>>
>> patch the manpage

>>> I can't put the package on mentors.debian.net, as it requires a GPG key
>>> to sign up. I use an OpenPGP Smartcard which uses subkeys, meaning it
>>> makes mentors.debian.net kick up an error about multiple keys.
>>
>> mh, please follow up with mentors.d.n

>> Regards,
>
> Thanks for the advice. I've managed to get rid of all of the errors
> apart from two. They are:
>
> new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> and
> manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man1/ah.1.gz
>
> I'm not sure if there is a way to fix the first warning, as there is no
> itp bug filed (it's referring to the changelog entry saying it's the
> first packaged version).

File an ITP bug, and refer to it in the first changelog entry.

> I'm not sure why the second error won't go
> away, as it seems the manpage needs to have a name and description in
> the NAME section, seperated by '-' or '\-'. With either of these, the
> error's still there. At the moment, I have:
>
> (1)                     User Manuals                    AH(1)
>

> NAME
>    ah \- hex to decimal converter.
> SYNOPSIS
>    cat hexfile|ah
>        *OR*
>    ah hexfile
>
> DESCRIPTION
>
>    AntiHex is a pipe to convert hex values into decimal.
>
> AUTHOR
>     Developer: Zhaolei <zhaoleidd@hotmail.com>
>     Package maintainer: Harry Rickards <hrickards@l33tmyst.com>
>
> Linux                Last change: JUNE 2009                    2

I bet the problem is that you've got \- there and not just -. \- is
needed by nroff/groff to make it output a -, but you shouldn't have \-
in the NAME entry of the man page when it is viewed after being
formatted etc.

Oh, and that man page wins todays useless use of cat award :)

// Alexander