Re: RFS: ecm -- prepares CD image files so they compress better

Hi,

>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "ecm"
>>
>> * Package name    : ecm
>>   Version         : 1.00
>>   Upstream Author :  Neill Corlett <neill@neillcorlet.com>
>> * URL             : http://www.neillcorlett.com/ecm/
>> * License         : GPL2+
>>   Programming Lang: C
>>   Description     : prepares CD image files so they compress better
>
> I had a quick look at your package and did not find a problem, though I
> would have to give it a closer look before upload.
>
> Unfortunately, ecm seems to have a problem with files larger than 2 or 4
> GB (I tried the 1st Debian Lenny DVD). I ended up with a file of size
> 381 MB :-((. I'm aware that ecm does not claim to handle DVD images, but
> it also does not refuse to handle them. I consider this a grave bug
> (data loss).
>
> I did another test with the first Debian Etch CD. ecm reduced the size
> of the image by 0.03%. Compressing the original ISO and the ecm-prepared
> version with bzip2 gave a 0.097% advantage for the ecm-prepared version.
> Do you have any number where ecm shows a reasonable gain?

Ruben Molina kindly pointed out to me that my test setup was flawed. ecm
should be applied to RAW files, not to ISO files. Another test with a
RAW image gave a similar improvement to what is reported on the ecm
homepage (~15% after compression).

Loic: I'm happy to sponsor this upload if you can get the data loss bug
fixed. There might be some small changes to the packaging needed, but
I'm confident that these can be easily sorted out.

Joachim