gimp-gap needs new upstream of libmpeg3

Dear Mentors,

I am facing a problem which I am sure is pretty usual.

My package gimp-gap has an [1]FTBFS bug which is fixed in it new upstream.

gimp-gap ships two foreign libraries in its original tarball: ffmpeg and libmpeg3. In the current version of gimp-gap, neither of these included libraries is used: ffmpeg is simply not used and libmpeg3 from Debian is used.

The problem is that libmpeg3 in Debian is outdated with API changes. It happens to have reverse dependencies on which gimp-gap build- depends, so for some time the two libraries will really have to live nicely together. I believe even the -dev packages need to be installable at the same time.

All this is doable. The problem is that libmpeg3's package maintainer has not answered the [2]bug report asking him to package the new upstream in two years. I have sent a ping last week to no avail.

What would be the best way to proceed, so that things end up happening nicely and peacefully?

Of course there would be the technical possibility to use the library as provided in gimp-gap sources, but that's against Debian policy, and for good reasons.

Regards, Thibaut.