Re: FYI: QA uploads primer

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 00:49, Serafeim Zanikolas<serzan@hellug.gr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Those interested in packaging, but not certain about making a long-term
> commitment might be interested in a practical primer for QA uploads:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/QAUploadsPrimer
>
> (A QA upload is a one-off maintenance act of an orphaned package (as opposed to
> an upload that declares one's adoption of the package))

1. QA uploads are nothing different from a normal upload except for
the Maintainer field; does it worth a full wiki page? A paragraph in
some other QA page would be enough
2. "read or skim through the table of contents of the Debian new
maintainer's guide (so that you know where to lookup things you might
need)" ??? policy and devref are just a waste of time? this is a wrong
suggestion (without mentioning the other 2 docs).
3. "an orphaned package has its Maintainer set to Debian QA Group
<packages@qa.debian.org>" what for those that are orphaned but never
received a QA upload? qa.debian.org/orphaned.html to have such list
4. "it's NOT okay to edit any upstream file; for that, you'll have to
use a patch management system (such as quilt [2])" too strong
requirement IMO. if an orphaned package already does direct upstream
code changes, might be ok to keep doing them in the qa upload.
5. "the first entry in debian changelog should be QA upload" dch does
the right thing without specify anythinh (just update maintainer field
first to QA if it's not yet)
6. "if the package is team-maintained (see the Maintainer field in
debian/control, you might have to commit your changes to the team's
repository; but this shouldn't be the case because we said that you'd
work on an orphaned package )" so why mention it?? this is wrong. It's
orphaned, no need to commit anythin to the ex-team.
7. "repeat steps 3-4" there are no numbers in your doc.
8. "check that your newly-built .deb installs, uninstalls, and
re-installs without problems (you did choose a non-critical package,
so this should be okay even if your package is horribly broken)"
what??
9. "if you have modified the package's dependencies, use pbuilder to
confirm that the package builds successfully" USE PBUILDER IN ANY CASE
BEFORE UPLOAD TO MENTORS!!!

In definitive, this is a complete waste of time: if you know how to
package, this page is useless, if you don't, this page drive to the
wrong direction.

Please either:

1. fix it
2. merge with an already existing QA page (a small paragraph in hte
main wiki QA page would be enough)
3. remove it.

Regards,